Leistritz will host the 12th annual Pharmaceutical Extrusion Seminar on June 7-8, 2017. There will be a special emphasis on the extrusion of multi-functional device dosage forms for filaments, tubes, films and laminates.
This “hands-on” seminar starts with the basics and explains why twin screw extrusion is a preferred manufacturing method to make consistent/repeatable devices and dosage forms. Some of the topics include:
- Twin screw extrusion theory and design
- Comparison of co-rotating and counterrotating twin screw extruder technologies
- Downstream systems: pelletizing, tubes, filaments, films, molding, co-extruded parts and unique shape extrusion
- Die design and computer modelling
- Single screw extrusion theory and design
- Upstream equipment designs for feeding, material handling and containment
- Staging of unit operations in an extrusion system to facilitate continuous compounding and part fabrication
- Scale-up of the extrusion process- R&D, pilot scale and production
- Cleaning and maintenance of extrusion equipment in a cGMP environment
- Equipment and process validation practices and documentation
- Advantages of continuous extrusion as compared to batch processes
- Mixing techniques for poorly soluble and heat/shear sensitive API’s
- New emerging extrusion technologies, i.e. supercritical foaming and co-extrusion
“Hands-on” demonstrations at Leistritz process laboratory will include:
- Co-extrusion system extruding a multi-layer tube
- nano-16 twin screw extrusion system processing 50 gram batch samples
- Film/lamination extrusion system as used for transdermal or dissolvable film applications
- Foaming of an extrudate via sCO2 injection
- Extrusion system for compounding heat/shear sensitive API’s via melt extrusion
Classroom sessions are held at the Holiday Inn in Clinton, NJ, and extrusion demonstrations at the nearby Leistritz Process Laboratory in Somerville, NJ.
In addition to Leistritz staff, outside industry experts will contribute to the program content.
Price: Early registration, by May 12, 2017, is $820; after this date cost is $920.